Tuesday, January 11, 2011

SSL Certificate or Code Signing Certificate for ClickOnce Deployment

I am using ClickOnce deployment to deploy an Excel Com Addin and was wondering if I could sign the installer with an SSL Certificate and kill two birds with one stone.


The short answer is NO, they are different!


So what is the difference between an SSL and Code Signing certificate?
It seems that the only difference is the value of the purpose field in the certificate. The issuer of the certificate chooses for what purpose the certificate is created.  Applications that do the signing and verifying check the purpose field of the certificate.
In short:
  • An SSL Certificate is used for authentication of your website/application server.
  • A Code Signing Certificate is used for integrity/authentication of the exe,dll,... you deliver.

Here is a great little thread I found resulting from someone asking the same question as me

3 comments:

  1. Pretty good post. I have just stumbled upon your blog and enjoyed reading your blog posts very much. I am looking for new posts to get more precious info. Big thanks for the useful info. SSL certificates

    ReplyDelete